The Youth Rights Campaign (YRC) has condemned the Department of State Services (DSS) for filing a libel suit against Engineer Khalid Aminu, accusing him of making negligent misstatements regarding his illegal detention and torture during the #EndBadGovernance protest last year. The case, scheduled for hearing on Tuesday, February 25, 2025, has sparked outrage, with YRC calling for the DSS to “hands off” Aminu and halt further attempts to suppress dissent.
In a press release issued today, the YRC described the lawsuit as “vexatious and utterly reprehensible,” urging the DSS to retract its legal action and apologize publicly to Aminu for his unlawful arrest and mistreatment.
“We ask the DSS to tender a public apology and pay adequate compensation to Engineer Khalid Aminu for arresting and detaining him for over 60 days illegally and in violation of his rights and civil liberties,” said Francis Nwapa, the National Secretary of the YRC. “Instead of engaging in flagrant legal processes aimed at muzzling voices of opposition, the DSS should focus on addressing the core issues raised by Aminu’s case.”
The DSS is seeking a public apology from Aminu, to be published in two widely read national newspapers and across his social media platforms. Additionally, the agency is demanding 160 million naira in damages, including 100 million naira in general damages and 60 million naira for the cost of action.
The legal action stems from Aminu’s outspoken criticism of the DSS following his arrest and detention in the aftermath of the August 2024 #EndBadGovernance protests, which were sparked by the rising cost of living and government policies perceived as anti-poor. Aminu, a key organizer of the protests, was detained for over two months without access to family or legal counsel, during which time he claims to have been subjected to severe physical and psychological abuse.
According to the YRC, the DSS’s decision to pursue legal action is an attempt to silence Aminu and cover up the abuse he endured. The group also emphasized the DSS’s failure to honor Nigeria’s international commitments, as the country is a signatory to numerous treaties prohibiting the torture of detainees.
“It is not only an abuse of power but a waste of taxpayer money to go after Aminu in this manner,” said Nwapa. “This lawsuit is a clear attempt to intimidate him into silence and prevent the public from knowing the truth about the inhumane practices within Nigeria’s security agencies.”
The #EndBadGovernance protest, which took place between August 1 and 10, 2024, was part of a broader movement demanding government accountability. The protest saw violent crackdowns by security forces, with reports of at least 40 deaths and over 2,100 arrests. Despite the protests being largely peaceful, security agencies, including the DSS, targeted activists like Aminu, who continued to speak out against the government’s policies.
Aminu, now recovering from his ordeal, has been vocal about the abuses he suffered and has continued to expose the methods used by Nigeria’s security apparatus, particularly the DSS.
The YRC has called on the DSS to drop the libel suit and cease its attempts to intimidate Aminu, stating that such actions only further alienate the Nigerian government from its citizens and undermine the rule of law.
“We call on the DSS to halt this reckless and vexatious effort to harass Khalid Aminu into silence,” said Nwapa.
The YRC’s statement comes at a time when the Nigerian public is increasingly concerned about the growing trend of state-sponsored repression and the curtailing of free speech.